Knee pain is a common complaint seen in the rehabilitative setting. It affects both the young and old with varying diagnoses through the lifespan. Successful rehabilitation for these varying injuries requires a comprehensive, team-based approach. The rehabilitation professional must translate his or her extensive educational background and experience into individualized care for each patient.
In this course we aim to provide participants with a systematic approach to treating knee pathology. We have grouped common knee injuries into three categories of Intra-articular Lesions, Anterior Knee Pain, and Ligamentous Compromise.
Course participants will be presented online course work for each of these three categories, which cover the foundational knowledge of specific injuries. They will be instructed through case-based learning, illustrating the history, evaluative techniques, anatomy and biomechanics, and rehabilitation guidelines for each diagnosis. Surgical indications will supplement physical therapy treatments where applicable.
Course participants will then be eligible to attend a one-day, in-person, interactive seminar where they will expand upon foundational knowledge through practicing specific evaluative and intervention techniques. Critical thinking and decision making for treatment progressions will be stressed throughout the course.
- star Articulate common mechanisms of injury for knee pathology
- star Discuss mechanics of the knee joint and how these influence treatment
- star Discuss biomechanics of the knee joint during ADLs and sports
- star Articulate the role of the physical therapist in rehabilitating a surgical procedure
- star Discuss common surgical procedures of the knee and their influences on rehabilitative techniques
- star Identify screening procedures of the knee when impairments are found prior or instead of a physician visit
- star Identify the differences between triage screening and full evaluations.
- star Discuss discharge planning for patients
- star Demonstrate critical thinking with treatment progressions through test, treat, re-test philosophy
- star Identify available resources for reference in treatment of knee pathology
- star Identify available rehabilitation guidelines for knee pathology
- star Discuss arthokinematics of the tibial-femoral and patella-femoral joints and their influence on rehabilitation strategies
- star Identify normal restraints to motion of the knee, including primary versus secondary restraints
- star Identify force absorbing properties of menisci
- star Understand basics of articular lesion surgical procedures
- star Articulate proper selection of quadriceps strengthening exercises in PFJ Syndrome
- star Articulate the role of regional interdependence in knee injuries
- star Perform return to play progressions and testing in the athlete
Thanks! It was great review and also learned some good material to bring back to work on Monday!